- Assam Cabinet approves state population policy bill.
- The state cabinet on Thursday approved the state population policy bill that proposes confining family size to two children but has shifted the focus from enforcement by the government to getting the job done by women by empowering them.
- Assam’s average family size is 5.5 which is above the national average that has pushed the state’s population by almost one crore to 3.12 cr between 2001 and 2011 census while the population density is 398 as per 2011 census as against 340 in 2001.
- The cabinet nod paves the way for tabling of the bill in the state legislative assembly next week, over four months after the government announced its plans to bring a legislation to incentivize families to limit the family size and allowing them the freedom to aspire for higher standard of living and thereby keep the state’s fast growing population within the critical limit and achieve a stable population size by 2045.
- The cabinet has approved the Assam State Population Bill which focuses more on women empowerment.
- The key goal of the government, according to the draft bill, is to achieve gender equality in the truest sense and focus on enhancing women’s role and status as equal partners with men, especially through providing equal access to education and employment.
- The government proposes to offer incentives to those who stick to two-children norm, which include government employment. Those who decides otherwise may be barred from participating in panchayat and municipal body elections.
- India and Myanmar to sign MoU for conservation of quake-damaged Pagodas at Bagan.
- The Union Cabinet approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Myanmar for the conservation of earthquake-damaged pagodas at Bagan.
- The MoU will be signed during the official state visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Myanmar during 6-7 September 2017.
- Pagodas are the Buddhist temple typically in the form of a many-tiered tower built in traditions originating as stupa in historic South Asia.
- Ujjivan SFB receives scheduled bank status from Reserve Bank of India.
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank (SFB) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ujjivan Financial ServicesLimited included in the second scheduled to the RBI Act 1934 on 30th Aug 2017.
- This grants the ‘Scheduled Bank’ status to Ujjivan Small Finance Bank’ from the date of notification.
- Currently, Ujjivan SFB has 65 full-fledged brick and mortar branches in eight states and two Union Territories.
- This status will enhance the market acceptability of the bank in its effort to garner institutional deposits at a competitive price and participate more actively in the inter-bank market. It also opens the door for issuing Certificates of Deposits (CDs), which will be an important source of funding.
- Shri Rajiv Gauba takes over as Union Home Secretary
- Shri Rajiv Gauba, IAS (Jharkhand cadre-1982 batch) took over as Secretaryto the Government of India in the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- Gauba joined the Ministry of Home Affairs as Officer on Special Duty on June 27, 2017.
- He took charge as the Union Home Secretary upon the superannuation of Shri Rajiv Mehrishi.
- Konkani writer Mahabaleshwar Sail receives 2016 Saraswati Samman.
- Eminent Konkani writer Mahabaleshwar Sail (74) was bestowed with prestigious Saraswati Samman
- He was awarded for his novel “Hawthan”portraits about cultural lives of traditional pottery community in Goa.
- The award comprises of plaque and a cash prize of Rs.15 lakh by Union minister for commerce and industry Nirmala Sitharaman an event held in New Delhi.
Gk bit – Saraswati Samman
- Saraswati Samman is an annual award bestowed upon Indian citizen for his outstanding literary work written in any 22 Indian language mentioned in Schedule VIII of Constitution and published during last 10 years. The award has been named after Indian goddess of learning Saraswati.
- It is considered one of the highest literary awards in India. It was established in 1991 by the KK Birla Foundation. It carries cash prize of 15 lakh rupees, a citation and a plaque of goddess Saraswati. Harivansh Rai Bachchan was first recipient of this award for his autobiography published in four volumes.
APSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for APSC Prelims and APSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by APSC Notes are as follows:-
- APSC Mains 2020 Tests and Notes Program
- APSC Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- Apsc Prelims and Mains 2020 Tests Series and Notes Program
- Apsc Detailed Complete Prelims Notes
For any doubt, Just leave us a Chat or Fill us a querry