- Push for geotextiles scheme
- The Assam public works department has urged the state government to implement the geotextiles scheme before it expires next March.
- Sources said the scheme was launched in March 2015 at a cost of Rs 427 crore but has not taken off in Assam.
- Geotechnical textiles are textiles from natural and man-made fibres, woven and non-woven, used in geological applications involving rock, soil or other natural elements. Applications of the technology include separation, filtration, drainage and protection in road construction, slope and hill protection and water reservoirs.
- The PWD is using new and innovative technologies in road construction and geotechnical textiles is such an innovative technology which we plan to use. Geotechnical textiles is a membrane over which a bituminous layer is laid. It increases the strength and stabilises loose soil. The material is being used even in the railways
· World Ozone Day : September 16
- On December 19, 1994, the UN General Assembly proclaimed September 16to be the International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer, commemorating the date when the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer was signed in 1987.
- The theme for World Ozone Day 2018 – Keep Cool and Carry On.
- Ozone layer is found particularly in the stratosphere layer of atmosphere ranging between 20 to 40 km.
· Philippines hit by world’s strongest storm this year
- Super Typhoon Mangkhut, the world’s strongest storm this year, hit the northern coast of the Philippines,brought winds of up to 200 kmph and heavy rains.
- The name ‘Mangkhut’ means mangosteen fruit in Thai language.
- The deadliest storm on record in the Philippines was Super Typhoon Haiyan in 2013.
- PM launches “Swachhata Hi Seva”
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, launched the ‘Swachhata Hi Seva’ Movement, to boost nation wide public participation in the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, and catalyse the fulfilment of Bapu’s dream of a Clean India.
- The Swachhata Hi Seva movement aims at generating greater public participation towards Swachhta.
- It is being organized in the run up to the fourth anniversary of the Swachh Bharat Mission, on October 2nd, 2018, which will also mark the commencement of the 150thyear celebrations of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The Prime Minister urged everyone to be a part of this movement and strengthen the efforts to create a ‘Swachh Bharat’.
- Power Ministry launches ambitious program on energy efficiency in Chillers
- Ministry of Power, Government of India launched an ambitious program to encourage the deployment of Energy Efficient chiller systems in the country.
- The Chiller Star Labelling Program has been formulated by Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE).
- The program envisages providing star rating in terms of its energy performance. Initially, the program is launched on voluntary basis and will be valid upto 31stDecember 2020.
- Chillers are used extensively for space conditioning of buildings and for industrial process cooling applications.
· Minister For Minority Affairs Launched ‘National Scholarship Portal Mobile App
- The “National Scholarship Portal Mobile App” will ensure a smooth, accessible and hassle-free scholarship system for students from poor and weaker sections.
- All the scholarships are being given directly into bank accounts of the needy students under Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode through the National Scholarship Portal which has ensured that there is no scope for duplication and leakage.
- Hyderabad gets India’s first dog park
- Hyderabad is set to get country’s first exclusive dog park.
- The park, which is spread over in 1.3 acres, has been developed by the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation at cost of Rs. 1.1 crore.
- The park also has dog training and exercise equipments.
- ISRO launches two British earth observation satellites onboard PSLV-C42
- The Indian Space Research Organization has launched its heavy-weight rocket, the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV), into orbit carrying two earth observation satellites of Britain’s Surrey Satellite Technology Limited.
- PSLV-C42 is carrying two earth observation satellites of Britain’s Surrey Satellite Technology Limited (SSTL), NovaSAR and S1-4, weighing 450 kg each.
- PSLV-C42 is the first fully commercial trip of the year, breaking a five-month-long lull, for the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- Second Flight Test of MPATGM Successful
- Indigenously developed Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM), was successfully flight tested for the second time from the Ahmednagar range.
- All the mission objectives have been met.
- The two missions on 15 and 16 September 2018 have been successfully flight tested for different ranges including the maximum range capability.
· Reserve Bank to purchase govt securities worth Rs 10,000 crore onSeptember 19
- The purchase of the government securities (G-secs) will be done through Open Market Operations (OMO).
- The central bank will conduct the OMO through a multi-security auction – of five G-Secs (maturing in 2020, 2022, 2027, 2030, and 2042) using the multiple price method.