AFSPA to continue in Assam, to be withdrawn if peace lasts :HimantaBiswaSarma
Assam chief minister HimantaBiswaSarma said the state will continue to be under Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 and a decision on withdrawing it will be taken only if the present peace prevails for a longer term.
He expressed apprehension that the militant groups might not reciprocate the same way if the AFSPA is withdrawn from Assam.
Sarma, however, said that no state government wants to continue with AFSPA if the law and order situation is peaceful and conducive.
Stating that no state government will want to continue with AFSPA if the law and order situation is peaceful and conducive, he said “I am only saying this in the context of our state and not Nagaland because I have no jurisdiction to do so. On Nagaland I do not have any assessment. I do not want to comment on the situation that exists in that state,” he added.
The Act was imposed in Assam in November 1990 and has been extended every six months since then after a review by the state government.
AFSPA empowers security forces to conduct operations anywhere and arrest anyone without any prior warrant. It also gives a certain level of immunity to the security forces in case of an operation going wrong.
Kachai to be developed as a model village: Manipur CM
The Kachai village in Ukhrul district has been proposed to be set up as a model village considering its importance in the production of the renowned ‘KachaiLemon,’Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh said today. Biren Singh accompanied by Rajya Sabha MP Maharaja SanajaobaLeishemba and Loktak Development Authority Chairman L Sushindro,was addressing an outreach gathering at Teinem Village in Ukhrul District.
Earlier on his arrival in the hill village, the Chief Minister was given a rousing welcome by the District Administration and leaders and villagers of LM Block. Various organisations, Village Authorities and individuals also honoured him by presenting him gifts. In March 2015, Kachai Lemon (Citrus jambheri Lush), a unique lemon variety which contains 45-51 mg/100 ml ascorbic acid – the highest so far available in the realm of citrus – has been accorded GI registration tag.
WADA Report on Rule Violations
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) just released a report on “Rule Violations.”
- In 2019, the number of offenders in India grew, placing India among the top three global doping violators.
- Bodybuilding, weightlifting, and athletics have all played a role in India’s dismal performance.
- In 2019, India reported 152 anti-doping rule violations (ADRVs), accounting for 17% of the global total.
- Maximum dope offenders reported from bodybuilding out of all offenders (57).
- With 25 ADRVs, weightlifting is the most popular Olympic sport. Athletics (20) and wrestling come as second and third, respectively (10).
- Boxing and judo each had four ADRVs. In 2019, four cricketers also signed ADRVs.
Apretude Approved by FDA To Prevent HIV
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the world’s first injectable drug for lowering the risk of contracting HIV.
Apretude is a medication that can be injected. “Cabogegravir extended-release injectable suspension” is its generic name.
The medicine is an alternative to daily HIV prophylaxis pills such as Truvada and Descovy. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), these pills are up to 99 percent effective in preventing HIV transmission through sexual contact. It must, however, be taken daily to be effective.
However, to begin Apretude, clients are given two doses one month apart. They will be given an injection every two months after that.
This injection will be crucial to combat the HIV epidemic in the United States.
It will also benefit high-risk individuals and specific groups for whom taking daily medicine is difficult or impossible.
NITI Aayog- UN WFP Agreement on Food Basket Diversification.
The NITI Aayog and the UN World Food Program (UN WEP) have agreed to broaden the food basket. On December 20, 2021, both organizations signed a Statement of Intent.
- The NITI Aayog and UN WEP partnership aims to mainstream millets and help India take the lead internationally in knowledge exchange in the year 2023, which has been designated as the International Year of Millets.
- This alliance also intends to improve small-farmer livelihoods, climate change adaptation and climate change adaption capabilities, and adaptation capabilities and strengthen climate-resilient agriculture for improved food and nutrition security across India.
- The Indian government declared 2018 to be the year of millets to boost and develop millet cultivation.
Anti-Doping Bill Introduced by Sports Minister
The law aims to establish a legal basis for the National Anti-Doping Agency’s operations (NADA).
The bill gives NADA the authority to conduct raids and boost drug-abuse prevention initiatives in Indian communities.
It will also establish a legal framework for the National Dope Testing Laboratory (NDTL) and other dope testing facilities to operate under.
It also calls for establishing a National Board for Anti-Doping in Sports to boost anti-doping efforts in sports.
Previously, NADA had no jurisdiction to execute raids, and NADA’s anti-doping appeal panel agreed.
The law aims to give NADA powers of investigation, inspection, sample collection, sharing, and free flow of information and the ability to impose punishment for anti-doping rule violations and establish disciplinary procedures.
Delhi to set up first Teachers University
The university will offer a four-year integrated teacher education programme after Class 12.
In the programme, BA &B.Ed, BSc &B.Ed, and BCom&B.Ed courses will be incorporated.
While pursuing these courses, those enrolled in the university will also be linked to Delhi government schools for training purposes.
Government will introduce “Delhi Teachers University Bill 2021” for the same in the next session of Delhi Assembly.
Delhi Teachers’ University will be a public university. It will be dedicated to prepare excellent quality teachers for Delhi across different school stages. Students from university will also be attached with Delhi government schools for entire duration of the course, to get hands-on experience. It will help students in receiving excellent practical knowledge in addition to theoretical knowledge.
APSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for APSC Prelims and APSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by APSC Notes are as follows:-
- APSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program 2022
- APSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- Apsc Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- Apsc Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022