Thermal power plants are the major source of energy in India. Nearly 65% of energy production comes from thermal plants. The energy is generated through coal heating process and then running turbine. But the energy generation is not a eco friendly exercise. Thermal power plant affect the environment in following way:
Air Pollution: Particulate matter, gaseous emission- Sulphur dioxide, oxide of Nitrogen, Carbon monoxide, CO2, Hydrocarbon , fly ash etc.
Thermal power plants are largest emitter of Mercury.
- Water pollution: Plant Effluent, Coal Handling Plant Dust Suppression, Ash handling, Effluent from oil handling and transformer areas, Power House and Turbine Area Effluent.
- Land Degradation: Untreated air and water pollutants from coal power plants affect the water and the flora and fauna of adjoining areas making them unfit for living or livelihood activities
- Noise Pollution: Regular exposure to such high noise levels emanating from power plants from the usage of equipment like boilers, turbines and crushers, affects people working in the plants.
To conclude, thermal power plants are detrimental to environment and affect all components of Biosphere.
APSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for APSC Prelims and APSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by APSC Notes are as follows:-
- APSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program 2022
- APSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- Apsc Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- Apsc Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022