· Government schools of Assam to take Pledge against tobacco use
ð Students of all Government schools in the State of Assam will take oath on December 1 not to use tobacco in any form.
ð It is to be mentioned that Assam has 48.2% adults (aged 15+) tobacco users of which 13.3% smoke tobacco and 41.7% use smokeless tobacco products as per the Global Adult Tobacco Survey GATS 2017. In this joint initiative of Department of Education – Assam, Sambandh Health Foundation (SHF) supported by Tata Trusts, Assam Cancer Care Foundation, Rotary Assam, Indian Dental Association, Dr B. Borooah Cancer Institute and National Service Scheme, under ‘Pledge for Life’ campaign, the students will be made aware about the ill-effects of tobacco usage. In Assam nearly half of all adults over 15 years use tobacco, compared with 28.6% all India. Assam also has among the highest cancer rates in the country.
· India slips 2 places on ‘Global Talent Ranking’; Switzerland on top
- India has slipped two places to rank 53rdon a global annual talent ranking released by IMD Business School Switzerland.
- While Switzerland has topped the global ranking for the fifth year in a row, it is followed by Denmark, Norway, Austria and the Netherlands in the top-five.
- Within Asia, Singapore has topped the charts with a global 13th place on the list that ranks 63 countries in developing, attracting and retaining talent.
- Among BRICS nations, Brazil is ranked 58th, South African 50th and Russia 46th.
· UN General Assembly adopts 1st resolution on sexual harassment
- The Third Committee of the UN General Assembly has adopted a resolution on sexual harassment, the first of its kindat the world body.
- The resolution urges countries to address the discrimination faced by women that makes them vulnerable to exploitation, violence and abuse.
- It also urges states to ensure the promotion and protection of the human rightsof all women and their sexual and reproductive health, and reproductive rights.
· Centre made jute packaging mandatory for all food grains
- The Centre approved a proposal making jute packaging mandatory for all food grains. The decision was taken by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, headed by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi. In India, the jute sector employs approximately 3.7 lakh workers directly. The move is significant as it would support several lakh farm families and workers whose livelihood is dependent on the jute sector.
· Bihar CM unveiled statue of Lord Buddha at Rajgir
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumarunveiled a 70-foot-tall statue of Lord Buddha at Rajgir in Nalanda district. Mr.Kumar unveiled the statue of Lord Buddha, the second tallest statue of Buddha in the country, in the presence of Mahabodhi temple’s chief monk Bhante Chalinda amid the chanting of hymns.
- The statue has been installed above a 16 metre radius pedestal in the middle of the lake Ghora Katoraand has been made from 45,000 cubic foot pink sandstone. Ghora Katora lake is a historical place. It is a natural lake surrounded by five hills where Lord Buddha’s statue has been installed.
· UP government cleared the proposal to build Ram statue
- The Uttar Pradesh governmenthas cleared a proposal to build a 221-meter-tall statue of Lord Ram on the banks of the Saryu river in Ayodhya. The government did not furnish the details of the funding, the construction agency and the location of the statue. The size of the statue will outdo the 182-meter-tall statue of Sardar Patel in Gujarat.
- TheYogi Adityanath government had last year announced that it would construct a Ram statue in Ayodhya as part of the “Navya Ayodhya” scheme of the UP Tourism Department to develop the town as a tourist hub.
- This is not the only Ram statue the BJP government is planning in UP. The government also plans to build a statue of Lord Ram at Shringverpur, a site near Allahabad revered by Nishads.
· Mary Kom Won Sixth World Championship Title, Creates History
- MC Mary Komcreated history by becoming the first woman to win six boxing world titles by clinching the 48 kg gold at the 2018 AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships in New Delhi.
- The 35-year-old Indian legend got the better of Ukrainian Hanna Okhota in the summit clash.
- WhatsApp set to start radio campaigns against fake news
- WhatsApp said it is rolling out radio campaigns across various states, advising people to check the veracity of information received as a forward before believing in it or sharing it with others.
- The Facebook-owned company has been slapped with two notices to check the spread of fake news, prompting it to take a series of measures, including restricting the number of forwards to five, while adding the ‘forward’ label to help users identify such messages.
APSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for APSC Prelims and APSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by APSC Notes are as follows:-
- APSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program 2022
- APSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- Apsc Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- Apsc Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022