- IIT Guwahati uses aloe vera to remove oil from water
- Researchers have for the first time used a naturally occurring material — aloe vera gel — which inherently has superior oil repelling (oleophobic) property to separate oil from water
- Using the membrane, the researchers were able to separate both light (kerosene) and heavy oil from water even under harsh conditions
- The team led by Dr. Uttam Manna from the Department of Chemistry at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati used the thick gel contained in the leaves of aloe vera plant.
· Indian banks profitability weaker than BRICS peers, to improve next fiscal: Moodys
- Moody’s Investors Servicein its report stated that the profitability of Indian banks is “distinctively weak” compared to the other BRICS nations.
- In India, the system-wide asset quality is weak due to stressed public sector banks, which dominate the sector.
- Indian banks have a tangible common equity ratio of 8.7 percent at the end of 2017.
- It is unprofitable and has a negative ROA due to high credit costs at dominant state-owned banks.
· Establishment of Appellate Tribunal under Prohibition of Benami Property Act, 1988
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the appointment of Adjudicating Authority and establishment of Appellate Tribunal under Prohibition of Benami Property Transactions Act(PBPT), 1988.
- Appointment of an Adjudicating Authority, along with the three additional Benches and to establish the Appellate Tribunal under the PBPT Act;
- To provide the officers and employees to Adjudicating Authority, Benches of the Adjudicating Authority and Appellate Tribunal by diverting the existing posts at the same level/rank from the Income Tax Deptt./Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT);
· Cabinet approves setting up of Indian Institute of Skills in PPP modes
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the for setting up of Indian Institute of Skills(IISs) at different locations across the country in Public Private Partnership (PPP), which will be explored for promotion of IIS at select locations based on demand and available infrastructure.
- The setting up of IISs shall augment the global competitiveness of key sectors of Indian economy by providing high quality skill training, applied research education and a direct and meaningful connection with industry.
- It will provide opportunity to aspiring youth across the country to have access to highly skilled training, and enhance the scope of accountability through its linkage with industry and global competitiveness across sectors.
- By leveraging advantages of private sector enterprise and public capital in terms of Government land, it would create new institutes of expertise, knowledge and competitiveness.
· PM awarded the 2018 Seoul Peace Prize
- The Seoul Peace Prize Committee has decided to confer the 2018 Seoul Peace Prize on Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, in recognition of his dedication to improving international cooperation, raising global economic growth, accelerating the Human Development of the people of India by fostering economic growth in the world’s fastest growing large economy and furthering the development of democracy through anti-corruption and social integration efforts.
- While awarding the 2018 Seoul Peace Prize, the Award Committee recognized Prime Minister Modi’s contributions to the growth of the Indian and global economies, crediting ‘Modinomics’ for reducing social and economic disparity between the rich and the poor.
- The Committee also credited Prime Minister for his contribution towards regional and global peace through a proactive foreign policy with countries around the world under the ‘Modi Doctrine’ and the ‘Act East Policy.’
- Prime Minister Modi is the fourteenth recipient of this award.
· Centre launched two schemes, IMPRESS and SPARC
- The Centre, the Ministry of Human Resource Development, launched two schemes, Impactful Policy Research in Social Sciences (IMPRESS)and Scheme for Promotion of Academic and Research Collaboration (SPARC). The aim is to promote higher education research in India.
- IMPRESS deals with social science research projectsand coordinated by the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR)
- SPARC involves the foreign collaborationmainly in science research, coordinated by IIT Kharagpur.
APSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for APSC Prelims and APSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by APSC Notes are as follows:-
- APSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program 2022
- APSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- Apsc Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- Apsc Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022