- Many opting for open schooling in Assam
- Open schooling has slowly emerged as a new alternative to class X state board examinations, with sources in the Board of Secondary Education, Assam(Seba), which conducts the state board exams, pointing out the number of students registered to appear in the exams this year has gone down by close to 30,000 as compared to last year.
- 3,53,533 have registered to appear for the exams this year as compared to 3,80,733 students who had registered last year, with many attributing this sharp decline to more students who are opting for the open schooling system. According to the top official sources, the State Institute of Open Schooling (SIOS), that came into effect a couple of years ago, is being preferred more and more by students who could not pass their regular matriculation examination.
- MoU between Botanical Survey of India and Natural History Museum, UK
- Botanical Survey of India (BSI) and Natural History Museum (NHM), UK signed a Memorandum of Understanding for cooperation in the field of genetic/taxonomic studies, research and training, conservation in India, including species and habitat conservation assessments, etc.
- NHM will help BSI in capacity building in areas of systematic botany and long-term conservation of plant genetic resources in India.
· Malacidins: Scientists discover new class of antibiotics from soil
- Scientists from The Rockefeller University in New York have reported the discovery of a new class of antibiotics called maladies.
- It produced by microorganisms living in soil and dirt and is capable of killing off several antibiotic-resistant pathogens.
- The new family of antibiotics comes from molecules present in a large variety of soils. Scientists had analyzed more than 1000 unique soil samples across US to better understand how new class of antibiotics is produced and how it can be exploited for fighting bacteria.
- They had used DNA information that encodes production of antibiotic in daptomycin to study it.
- This discovery could be a useful weapon in the field of medicine.
· Indian Engineer Awarded Sci-Tech Oscar Award
- Vikas Sathaye, a Pune-born person honored with the Scientific and Engineering Academy Award at the Oscars Scientific and Technical Awards 2018 at Beverly Hills in Los Angeles, California.
- Sathaye and his team received the award for his contribution towards conceptualization, designing, engineering, and the implementation of the ‘Shotover K1 Camera System’ during his stint at Shotover Camera Systems in Queenstown, New Zealand.
- National Conference “Agriculture 2022- Doubling Farmers’ Income”
- The Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare (MoA&FW) is organizing a National Conference under the title of “Agriculture 2022 – Doubling Farmers’ Income” at National Agriculture Science Complex (NASC), Pusa, New Delhi.
- It is a two days conference scheduled on 19th and 20th February, 2018.
- The Conference is being organized on the advice of the Hon’ble Prime Minister with a view to identify various critical issues relating to agriculture and farmers’ welfare and finding appropriate solutions.
- The main aim of the conference is to build a consensus around appropriate recommendations that will help in shaping and sharpening the vision of the Government on Doubling Farmers’ Income by 2022 into actionable points.
- Mumbai to have India’s first artificial intelligence centre
- In a first in the country, Maharashtra government will be setting up an institute for artificial intelligence (AI) in Mumbai.
- Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis will unveil the plan for the institute during the Magnetic Maharashtra Summit.
- The Magnetic Maharashtra Summit will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on February 18.
- Milkbasket recognised as ‘Startup of the Year’ 2017
- Milkbasket, India’s first and largest micro-delivery platform has been recognised as ‘Startup of the Year’ 2017 at the 7th Small Business Awards.
- The Startup of the Year award is dedicated to young SMEs, aged 7 years or less, with great potential to become big in local/international markets.
- Launched in early 2015, Milkbasket is India’s first and largest daily micro-delivery service.
- ISRO planning to launch Chandrayaan-2 mission around April this year
- The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh said that Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to launch Chandrayan-2 Mission around April this year.
- Chandrayaan-2 is the country’s second mission to the moon, he added.
- He was addressing a press conference on the achievements of Department of Space and Department of Atomic Energy.
- Chandraayan-2 is a challenging mission as for the first time we will carry an orbiter, a lander and a rover to the moon.
APSC Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for APSC Prelims and APSC Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by APSC Notes are as follows:-
- APSC Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program 2022
- APSC Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- Apsc Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- Apsc Detailed Complete Prelims Notes 2022